Support worker, with a focus in horticulture and conservation.
The opportunity to work in a fabulous environment, based on a diary farm in beautiful rural Leicestershire
21 days holiday a year, + bank holidays+ Christmas eve and your birthday off.
WHM is a unique employer, with a proven track record of providing excellent support to help adults with learning disabilities develop new skills and achieve their employment goals.
Dynamic and responsive role that will present unique opportunities.
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated individual, to join the team at our Greenfields skills centre, located in Seagrave LE12.
WHM Work connections provides support for adults with Learning disabilities to developing new skills, assist their personal development and employability. This role will focus on horticulture and conservation, working with small groups to lead and develop sessions that focus on real outcomes for the people we support. For an application form please call 01509 812004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHM Work Connections
Job Description - Support Worker
To support people with disabilities to successfully and safely participate in activities and tasks according to their recognised and agreed person-centred needs and outcomes. To adhere to practices that promote wellbeing and choice. To provide support to people to develop work and general living skills and to be part of their local community.
This role will include working at our Greenfields Skills Centre (Seagrave), Fairfields Skills Centre (Queniborough) and within the community.
The range of activities that that this post will coordinate and support include: Animal Care, Horticulture, Conservation, Rural Activities, Work and Daily Living skills
- 1. To work with individuals and groups in a systematic and planned way to develop their skills and knowledge based on the goals set out within their person-centred work plans.
- 2. To support individuals and groups to access mainstream community settings including volunteering, work trials and mainstream work settings.
- 3. As required to work with individuals within their home setting to support learning and encourage skills development.
- 4. To support people to learn to keep themselves safe in the community including the provision of travel and community orientation training.
- 5. To ensure health, safety and welfare of participants in an outdoor learning space.
- 6. To record information as appropriate about the wellbeing and progress of people supported.
- 7. To liaise with families, other organisations and employers where relevant to the support being provided.
- 8. To contribute through the provision of information and feedback, to assessments, reviews and risk management processes.
- 9. To prompt and support people with personal care and medication as appropriate.
10. To support people with behavioural needs where relevant, based on behavioural management plans.
11. To attend meetings as appropriate and to participate in supervision with the manager of this post.
12. To undertake any other activities relevant to the post.
1. To treat people supported with Dignity and Respect at all times
2. To comply with Health and Safety procedures and work to agreed risk assessments
3. To be prepared to undertake training and development.
4. To adhere to the principles, policies and procedures of WHM Work Connections
5. To maintain confidentiality as required by the nature of the work
6. To work in accordance with the General Social Care Council's Code of Practice for Social Care Workers
7. To follow universal precautions with particular regard to regular and effective hand washing to maintain good infection control.
8. To report all accidents and incidents, as soon as practicable following their occurrence, to the Senior Person on duty.
Education and Qualifications
Willing to train to NVQ level 2/3
Willing to undertake training in all relevant areas
Commitment to Equality and Diversity
Experience of supporting people with disabilities in community settings
Experience of undertaking risk assessments
Experience in handling and managing small animals
Experience in horticultural activities
Knowledge and Competencies
Ability to work in different locations
Ability to work under pressure
Ability to work independently
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
Ability to drive and access to a car
Enthusiasm, energy and the ability to work outdoors in all seasons
Ability to work flexibly including some evening and weekend work